Biogen profit beats estimates, helped by lower taxes
April 25 (Reuters) - Biogen Idec Inc reported stronger-than-expected quarterly earnings, helped by unusually low taxes and sales growth of its treatments for multiple sclerosis.
The U.S. biotechnology company said on Thursday it earned $426.8 million, or $1.79 per share, in the first quarter. That compared with $302.7 million, or $1.25 per share, in the year earlier period.
Excluding special items, the company earned $1.97 per share. Analysts, on average, expected $1.61 per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Global revenue rose 10 percent to $1.42 billion, matching Wall Street expectations.
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Canada PM vows crackdown after capital shocked by fatal attacks |
- Man arrested after jumping White House fence, causing lockdown
- Probe: Athletes took fake classes at University of North Carolina
- A Minute With: Shailene Woodley on teen sex, violence and Marvel