Biogen profit beats estimates, helped by lower taxes
April 25 (Reuters) - Biogen Idec Inc reported stronger-than-expected quarterly earnings, helped by unusually low taxes and sales growth of its treatments for multiple sclerosis.
The U.S. biotechnology company said on Thursday it earned $426.8 million, or $1.79 per share, in the first quarter. That compared with $302.7 million, or $1.25 per share, in the year earlier period.
Excluding special items, the company earned $1.97 per share. Analysts, on average, expected $1.61 per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Global revenue rose 10 percent to $1.42 billion, matching Wall Street expectations.
- White House reverses, says Obama met uncle and lived with him during law school
- Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai
- South Africa mourns Mandela, will bury him on December 15 |
- Analysis: Boeing bidders dangle goodies to win 777X jetliner
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image