Forward guidance on rates, QE not easy for ECB - Asmusssen
LONDON, April 25
LONDON, April 25 (Reuters) - Providing forward guidance on future interest rates of the type of large scale asset purchases being used by other major central banks would not be easy to apply in the euro zone, one of the ECB's top policymakers said on Thursday.
"Large scale asset purchase programmes targetted at capital markets would not be very helpful in the euro area," ECB Executive Board member Joerg Asmussen said at an Economist banking conference.
"Policies like forward guidance (on interest rates) or quantitative easing which aim to push down the risk free rate are not easily applicable," he added
- Google bus blocked in San Francisco gentrification protest
- Thai PM urges protesters to take part in election |
- North Korea's 'reign of terror' worries South's leader
- Obama, Castro shake hands as world says farewell to peacemaker Mandela |
- Rare Singapore riot forces soul searching over foreign workers