Forward guidance on rates, QE not easy for ECB - Asmusssen
LONDON, April 25
LONDON, April 25 (Reuters) - Providing forward guidance on future interest rates of the type of large scale asset purchases being used by other major central banks would not be easy to apply in the euro zone, one of the ECB's top policymakers said on Thursday.
"Large scale asset purchase programmes targetted at capital markets would not be very helpful in the euro area," ECB Executive Board member Joerg Asmussen said at an Economist banking conference.
"Policies like forward guidance (on interest rates) or quantitative easing which aim to push down the risk free rate are not easily applicable," he added
- Seven NATO allies to create new rapid reaction force-report
- Ukraine seeks to join NATO; defiant Putin compares Kiev to Nazis |
- U.S. authorities investigate suspected threat against Obama: reports
- Putin says Russia must strengthen its economic, military position in Arctic
- California passes 'yes-means-yes' campus sexual assault bill