Merkel says Europe must create jobs, spur investment
BERLIN, April 30
BERLIN, April 30 (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel said at a joint news conference with her Italian counterpart that Europe must find ways to create jobs and spur investment.
"Fiscal policy is not everything, of course. We do politics for people and people want jobs, which is why Europe has to manage to create employment and encourage investment and we have a lot of work to do in this area," Merkel said, standing alongside Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta.
Merkel said repeatedly that "budget consolidation and growth need not be contradictory", but added: "The goal is not deficit or growth numbers but to get people back to work."
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds 750 |
- Exclusive: Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus
- Minnesota man asked to leave Southwest flight after critical tweet