Humana profit rises, but company uncertain about 2014
May 1 (Reuters) - Humana Inc said Wednesday that first-quarter profit rose beyond its expectations, but the health insurer expressed uncertainty about its outlook for 2014, when lower U.S. government rates for private Medicare insurance go into effect.
The quarter included the effects of claims settlements and a delay in the start of sequestration until after the period ended. Humana posted a net profit of $473 million, or $2.95 per share, nearly double the year-earlier $248 million, or $1.49 per share.
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales
- 'Everything is fine', Pistorius told guard after shooting girlfriend |