Humana profit rises, but company uncertain about 2014
May 1 (Reuters) - Humana Inc said Wednesday that first-quarter profit rose beyond its expectations, but the health insurer expressed uncertainty about its outlook for 2014, when lower U.S. government rates for private Medicare insurance go into effect.
The quarter included the effects of claims settlements and a delay in the start of sequestration until after the period ended. Humana posted a net profit of $473 million, or $2.95 per share, nearly double the year-earlier $248 million, or $1.49 per share.
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote on union with Russia as Moscow pours in troops |
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat
- Indian Ocean poses daunting challenge in search for missing Malaysia plane