Humana profit rises, but company uncertain about 2014
May 1 (Reuters) - Humana Inc said Wednesday that first-quarter profit rose beyond its expectations, but the health insurer expressed uncertainty about its outlook for 2014, when lower U.S. government rates for private Medicare insurance go into effect.
The quarter included the effects of claims settlements and a delay in the start of sequestration until after the period ended. Humana posted a net profit of $473 million, or $2.95 per share, nearly double the year-earlier $248 million, or $1.49 per share.
- Gaza toll passes 100; Israel to counter rockets 'with all power' |
- Mexican train derails, stranding 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S.
- Ukraine says rebels will pay as missiles kill 23 soldiers |
- Texas mass murder suspect collapses in court as crime recounted
- British 'Harry Potter' actor David Legeno found dead in U.S. park