Double champion Basso pulls out of Giro with cyst
PARIS (Reuters) - Double champion Ivan Basso of Italy has pulled out of the Giro d'Italia because of a serious saddle sore two days before the start of the race.
Basso was suffering from a cyst, which made it impossible for him to pedal correctly, his Cannondale team said in a statement on Thursday.
Compatriot Damiano Caruso would replace Basso in the squad, Cannondale said.
The 35-year-old climber won the Giro in 2006 and 2010 but was not regarded as a top contender this year, having shown poor form this season.
Basso also twice finished on the Tour de France podium, taking third place in 2004 and second place in 2005.
The Giro starts in Naples on Saturday and finishes in Brescia on May 26.
- Lost airliner was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM |
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data