Berkshire Hathaway 1st-qtr profit rises 51 pct
OMAHA, Neb. May 3 (Reuters) - Warren Buffett's company Berkshire Hathaway Inc on Friday said first-quarter profit rose nearly 51 percent, helped by improved results in insurance and gains from its investments and derivative contracts.
Net income increased to $4.89 billion, or $2,977 per Class A share, from $3.25 billion, or $1,966 per share, a year earlier.
Quarterly operating profit rose 42 percent to $3.78 billion, or $2,302 per share, from $2.67 billion, or $1,615 per share.
- Lost airliner was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM |
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data