Venus pulls out of Madrid Open with back problem
MADRID (Reuters) - Former world number one Venus Williams has been forced to withdraw from the Madrid Open due to a back problem, organizers said on Sunday.
The 32-year-old American, now ranked 21, was due to play her first-round match against Spanish wild card Anabel Medina Garrigues on the clay at the premier event on Sunday.
She will be replaced in the draw by 56th-ranked Stefanie Voegele of Switzerland.
(Reporting by Iain Rogers; Editing by John O'Brien)
- Search resumes for hundreds missing in South Korean ferry disaster |
- Separatists take armored vehicles, humiliating Ukraine forces |
- Ocean floor search for missing Malaysia plane cut short again
- BofA reports first quarterly loss since 2011 on lofty legal bill
- Ukraine launches 'gradual' operation, action limited |