Venus pulls out of Madrid Open with back problem
MADRID (Reuters) - Former world number one Venus Williams has been forced to withdraw from the Madrid Open due to a back problem, organizers said on Sunday.
The 32-year-old American, now ranked 21, was due to play her first-round match against Spanish wild card Anabel Medina Garrigues on the clay at the premier event on Sunday.
She will be replaced in the draw by 56th-ranked Stefanie Voegele of Switzerland.
(Reporting by Iain Rogers; Editing by John O'Brien)
- Mexican train derails, stranding 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S.
- Gaza toll nears 100, militants threaten Israeli airport |
- Ukraine says rebels will pay as missiles kill 23 soldiers |
- A game of two popes: Vatican plays down talk of World Cup rivalry
- Haskell collapses in Texas court as details of murder read