U.S. Treasury's Lew says doesn't see debt limit brinksmanship
(Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew said on Tuesday that he does not know of anyone in Congress who wants to have a "showdown" over the nation's debt limit.
"On the debt limit, I can't find anyone (in Congress) who wants to have a showdown," he told the City Club of Cleveland. "They understand it can't be a bargaining chip, because the mere negotiation over default hurts the economy."
(Reporting by Anna Yukhananov; Editing by Sandra Maler)
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- U.S. diplomats, but not prosecutors, seek to quell India dispute |
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- Last-minute Obamacare exemption for those with canceled plans
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter