U.S. Treasury's Lew says doesn't see debt limit brinksmanship
(Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew said on Tuesday that he does not know of anyone in Congress who wants to have a "showdown" over the nation's debt limit.
"On the debt limit, I can't find anyone (in Congress) who wants to have a showdown," he told the City Club of Cleveland. "They understand it can't be a bargaining chip, because the mere negotiation over default hurts the economy."
- Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed in South China Sea |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- China draws 'red line' on North Korea, says won't allow war on peninsula
- Malaysian plane crashed off Vietnam coast: state media
- No signal picked up from missing Malaysia Airlines plane-Vietnam official