U.S. Treasury's Lew says doesn't see debt limit brinksmanship
(Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew said on Tuesday that he does not know of anyone in Congress who wants to have a "showdown" over the nation's debt limit.
"On the debt limit, I can't find anyone (in Congress) who wants to have a showdown," he told the City Club of Cleveland. "They understand it can't be a bargaining chip, because the mere negotiation over default hurts the economy."
- Islamic State executes soldiers, takes hostages at Syria base: social media |
- Breakthrough hopes dented as Ukraine accuses Russia of new incursion |
- Gaza truce holding but Israel's Netanyahu under fire at home |
- WHO shuts Sierra Leone lab after worker infected with Ebola
- Ukraine warns Europe of Russian gas cut-off, Moscow denies