UPDATE 1-China's XD Group said to be in talks to buy GE's Prolec JV stake
HONG KONG May 14 (Reuters) - Chinese state-controlled power equipment maker XD Group is in early talks to buy General Electric Co's joint venture with Mexico's Xignux SA for up to $1 billion, a person familiar with the discussions told Reuters on Tuesday.
The sale of the GE stake, known as Prolec GE Internacional, is part of the company's effort to sell non-core businesses, the person said. GE owns 49.9 percent of the company, which makes power transformers.
Last year, GE paid $535 million for a 15 percent stake in China XD Electric Co Ltd, the nation's biggest maker of transmission and distribution equipment and a unit of XD Group.
Bloomberg had first reported on the talks. Prolec GE has annual sales of about $600 million, its report said, citing people with knowledge of the matter.
GE and XD were unavailable for comment.
- Mexican train derails, stranding 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S.
- At least four servicemen killed in eastern Ukraine |
- Man charged with killing six members of same Texas family |
- Taliban sympathizer posts pictures of smiling Bowe Bergdahl
- Israel presses on with Gaza offensive, Palestinians fire rockets |