ECB's Asmussen sees banking union complete by summer 2014
BERLIN May 17 (Reuters) - European Central Bank Executive Board member Joerg Asmussen said on Friday that he believed a single European banking supervisor could be in place by next summer.
He said that it would not, however, be possible to set up a banking union without resolution.
"A supervisor which cannot credibly close a bank because it doesn't know what will happen then is a like a tiger without teeth," he said at an event for foreign journalists in Berlin.
"We need all elements of a banking union - we need them on the level of a common instrument and I also think that we can do that by next summer if we work hard."
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters press on
- Singapore hit by rare outbreak of rioting, 27 arrested |
- Billy Joel, Shirley MacLaine feted at Kennedy Center Honors