ECB's Asmussen sees banking union complete by summer 2014
BERLIN May 17 (Reuters) - European Central Bank Executive Board member Joerg Asmussen said on Friday that he believed a single European banking supervisor could be in place by next summer.
He said that it would not, however, be possible to set up a banking union without resolution.
"A supervisor which cannot credibly close a bank because it doesn't know what will happen then is a like a tiger without teeth," he said at an event for foreign journalists in Berlin.
"We need all elements of a banking union - we need them on the level of a common instrument and I also think that we can do that by next summer if we work hard."
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- Ukraine appeals to West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions