British security services in spotlight after soldier murder

LONDON Fri May 24, 2013 1:15pm EDT

1 of 9. Ian Rigby (C), the stepfather of murdered soldier Lee Rigby, reads a statement with Lee Rigby's mother Lyn (L) and wife Rebecca (R) at a news conference held at the Regimental HQ of his unit, the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, in Bury, northern England May 24, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Dave Thompson/Pool

Related Topics

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's security services faced questions on Friday over whether they could have done more to prevent the murder of a soldier hacked to death in a busy London street after it emerged that his suspected killers were known to intelligence officers.

Suspects Michael Adebolajo, 28 and Michael Adebowale, 22, are under guard in hospital after being shot and arrested by police after the murder of 25-year-old Afghan war veteran Lee Rigby on Wednesday. They have not yet been charged.

Adebolajo, filmed justifying the killing as he stood near the body holding a knife and meat cleaver in bloodied hands, was born in Britain to a Nigerian immigrant family. Adebowale is a naturalized British citizen born in Nigeria.

Another man and a woman have also been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder, an early indication that police are investigating whether the attack was part of a wider plot.

Prime Minister David Cameron said a parliamentary committee would carry out an investigation into the role of the security services. Britain's MI5 domestic spy agency had been aware of the men, but neither was considered a threat, a government source told Reuters.

Dramatic video footage showing the moment when police shot the two men was published on a British newspaper's website on Friday. The shaky, 10-second clip shows one of the men sprinting towards a police car with a knife in his hand before he is shot and tumbles to the ground.

"It is important for the public to know that the security services and the police are operating properly," former London police chief Ian Blair told BBC radio.

In an emotional news conference, Rigby's family said their "hearts have been ripped apart".

"You don't expect it to happen when he's in the UK. You think they're safe," said his tearful widow Rebecca Rigby, mother of their two-year-old son.

The attack has been condemned by mainstream British Muslim groups. It will increase attention on radical organizations like Al Muhajiroun, which organizes provocative demonstrations against British troops and was banned in 2010.

Adebolajo, who converted to Islam and took the name "Mujahid" - warrior - attended lectures by Al Muhajiroun's Syrian-born founder Omar Bakri, who was banished from Britain in 2005. Bakri praised the attack and said many Muslims would consider the victim a military target.

"I used to know him. A quiet man, very shy, asking lots of questions about Islam," Bakri told Reuters in northern Lebanon. "It's incredible. When I saw that, honestly I was very surprised - standing firm, courageous, brave. Not running away."

Bakri said Adebolajo had lost contact with Al Muhajiroun in 2005. Bakri's successor as leader of the organization, Anjem Choudary, has said Adebolajo was in contact until two years ago.

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles said there would be a thorough investigation into the role of the police and intelligence agencies. The incident underlined how "difficult it is in a free society to be able to control everyone", he added.

The attack was the first Islamist killing since July 2005, when four suicide bombers struck London transport. At that time, questions were also raised about the security services after it was revealed two of the bombers had been identified in a surveillance operation but were not followed up.

Sources familiar with the investigation have said no sign has emerged so far of direct links between the attack and an Islamist insurgency in the suspects' ethnic homeland Nigeria. Their surnames suggest they are from the Christian south of Nigeria, not the Muslim north where insurgents are active.

A Nigerian government source said there was no evidence the Woolwich suspects were linked to groups in west Africa.

'LONE WOLVES'

The murder, just a month after the Boston Marathon bombing, revived fears of "lone wolves" who may have had no direct contact with al Qaeda but plan their own attacks. The simplicity of the attack may have made prevention particularly difficult.

Peter Clarke, the former head of London's Counter Terrorism Command who led the investigation into the 2005 bombings, said if the men did turn out to be acting alone, it showed the difficulty the security services faced in trying to stop them.

"Instead of having to dismantle an organisation, you are having to investigate and counter an ideology," he told Reuters.

The two men used a car to run down Rigby outside Woolwich Barracks in southeast London and then attacked him with a meat cleaver and knives, witnesses said.

The pair told bystanders they had killed a British soldier in revenge for wars in Muslim countries, but did not say how they had identified him. Rigby was not in uniform and was working locally as an army recruiter.

Britain has been on high alert since the killing. Adding to security concerns, fighter jets were scrambled on Friday to escort a Pakistan plane following a security threat. Two men were arrested suspicion of endangering an aircraft.

MI5 has 4,000 staff in Britain, up from up from 1,800 on the eve of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States. Though al Qaeda has made no successful attack on Britain since 2005, Britain has been the target of at least one credible terrorist plot every year, according to security chiefs.

Richard Barrett, former head of counter-terrorism at the Secret Intelligence Service MI6, Britain's foreign spy agency, said it would be impractical to track every person who expressed radical views in case they tipped over into violent extremism.

"To find the signals, the red flags as it were, I think is enormously hard," he told the BBC.

(Additional reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Peter Graff)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (18)
JamVee wrote:
The first police on the scene were the unarmed variety (think useless), and it took them 9 minutes (pretty slow). Apparently it took an additional 5 minutes for police WITH GUNS to arrive. Did this affect the outcome, could armed police arriving sooner have saved the victim?

May 24, 2013 9:10am EDT  --  Report as abuse
wonderinghow wrote:
Ahhh the sweet smell of diversity. Brought to you by the liberal gov’t of Britain.

May 24, 2013 10:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:
Two guys grab some knives from the kitchen, hop in their car, mow down a soldier, jump out and start stabbing him…I’d say that sort of crime is pretty hard to prevent regardless of what list they were on.

I believe the Boston bombing to have been potentially more preventable than this particular case.

May 24, 2013 10:43am EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.