Fiat rises to highest in nearly 2 yrs on Chrysler buyout talk

MILAN Tue May 28, 2013 3:36am EDT

MILAN May 28 (Reuters) - Shares in Italian car maker Fiat rose more than 4 percent to a peak since August 2011 on Tuesday as speculation over a deal to buy the 41.5 percent stake it does not already onw in Chrysler continued.

Italian newspapers said on Tuesday negotiations were in a decisive phase and Corriere della Sera said Fiat would unlikely pay less than $3 billion for the stake controlled by the U.S. healthcare trust fund VEBA.

Corriere said a Fiat capital hike would be the best way to raise new resources ahead of a Wall Street listing of the merged group.

By 0729 GMT, the stock was up 4.6 percent at 5.92 euros.

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (1)
2happy wrote:
Fiat’s current price is about $7 per share which is less than the value of the 60% of Chrysler they own. When they get the remaining 40% they will own 100% of a company worth about 15 Billion all at a market cap of 6.5 Billion. I look for Fiat to double in 6 months and to increase as Europe recovers. Maybe $20-25 by 2015.

May 28, 2013 8:55am EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.