CSX train derails outside Baltimore, buildings collapse
WASHINGTON May 28 (Reuters) - A CSX Corp freight train derailed northeast of Baltimore on Tuesday, sparking a fire and causing buildings to collapse, authorities said.
The train derailed shortly after 2 p.m. EDT (1800 GMT) at White Marsh, Maryland, and there were no reports of injuries, a spokeswoman for the Baltimore County Police Department said. The cause of the accident was unknown.
The Baltimore County Fire Department said on its official Twitter feed that there was a fire at the scene. Preliminary reports said several buildings had collapsed, it said.
Baltimore's WBAL-AM radio reported that several freight cars were on fire.
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister
- 'Good night': Haunting final contact from missing Malaysian jet |
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |