An aerial view shows the pack of riders as they cycle along the coast during the 145,5 km third stage of the centenary Tour de France from Ajaccio to Calvi, on the French Mediterranean island of Corsica July 1, 2013. REUTERS/Pascal Pochard-Casabianca/Pool

Reuters Photojournalism

Our day's top images, in-depth photo essays and offbeat slices of life. See the best of Reuters photography.  See more | Photo caption 

Photo

Egypt's Mursi protests

Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi clings to office as protesters demand that he resign.  Slideshow 

Photo

Obama in Africa

President Obama is seeking to build a new economic partnership with Africa at the end of a tour of the fast-growing continent.  Slideshow 

Sponsored Links

Fighting in Syria's Qusair, U.N. says world watching

1 of 7. Forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad are seen in Arjoun village near Qusair town May 30, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/ Rami Bleible

BEIRUT | Sat Jun 1, 2013 4:05pm EDT

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Syrian troops and Hezbollah guerrillas besieging the border town of Qusair fought with rebels on Saturday as the United Nations warned all sides they would be held accountable for the suffering of trapped civilians.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said fighting was taking place inside Qusair and in villages around it, largely controlled by President Bashar al-Assad's forces who have cut off access to the town.

Rebels have pleaded for military help and medical aid for the hundreds of people wounded in the onslaught by government forces, who are also fighting back fiercely around the capital Damascus and the south and center of the country.

The battle for Qusair is happening as the United States and Russia seek to overcome deep differences over Syria and bring the two sides to the negotiating table for a political solution to the civil war in which 80,000 people have been killed.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon was monitoring the battle for Qusair "with the gravest concern" and called on both sides to allow civilians to escape the town, usually home to 30,000 people.

"The eyes of the world are upon them, and ... they will be held accountable for any acts of atrocity carried out against the civilian population of Qusair," a U.N. statement said.

U.N. emergency relief coordinator Valerie Amos and High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said they were alarmed that thousands of civilians may be trapped in Qusair.

"We understand there may also be as many as 1,500 wounded people in urgent need of immediate evacuation for emergency medical treatment, and that the general situation in Qusair is desperate," they said in a joint statement.

The Observatory, an anti-Assad network that monitors the violence in Syria through medical and security sources on the ground, said at least one person was killed during fighting inside Qusair and that Assad's troops were being reinforced ahead of a possible assault on the remaining rebel-held areas.

Rebels also tried to attack the nearby Daba military air base, seized by the army on Wednesday, and fought Assad's troops around Daba village, it said.

The two-week battle for Qusair is aimed at securing supply routes near the Syrian-Lebanese frontier, which both sides accuse the other of using to bolster their forces inside Syria.

For Assad, seizing Qusair would also allow him to cement control of a belt of territory between the capital Damascus and his stronghold on the Mediterranean coast.

The prominent role of guerrillas from Lebanon's Shi'ite group Hezbollah has angered rebels, who have threatened to take the battle into Lebanon unless Hezbollah withdraws.

Early on Saturday at least seven rockets were fired into Lebanon's eastern Bekaa Valley from rebel-controlled Syrian territory, security sources said.

Most of the rockets landed in empty fields. No one was hurt but some buildings were hit by shrapnel.

It was the first time the area, about 60 km (35 miles) east of Beirut, had been struck by rockets.

Several barrages have fallen in the northern Bekaa Valley and on Sunday two rockets were fired at the Hezbollah stronghold of southern Beirut after Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah vowed his fighters would battle in Syria to victory whatever the cost.

(Editing by Robin Pomeroy and Crispian Balmer)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (10)
westernshame wrote:
“The eyes of the world are upon them, and … they will be held accountable for any acts of atrocity carried out against the civilian population of Qusair,” a U.N. statement said.”

that’s odd, i don’t remember the UN issuing such statements when the US invaded Iraq illegally and later laid siege to the city of Fallujah. nor do i remember anyone being held accountable for murdered civilians or the toxic cesspool left behind….

Jun 01, 2013 9:47am EDT  --  Report as abuse
crittertron wrote:
Is the UN watching the “rebels” too? I love how it is murder when it is the other guy but collateral damage when it is our guy.

Jun 01, 2013 9:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
trex2561 wrote:
I am not watching! Let the crazy bastards kill one another until only one side is left and only then will there will be peace. My guess is that the one side left will be one single person. The same thing should happen in the US with all of the gangsters we have running around shooting one another. It will save us a lot of money that can be spent on better things than some jerks hospital bills and disability payments.

Jun 01, 2013 9:58am EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.