An aerial view shows the pack of riders as they cycle along the coast during the 145,5 km third stage of the centenary Tour de France from Ajaccio to Calvi, on the French Mediterranean island of Corsica July 1, 2013. REUTERS/Pascal Pochard-Casabianca/Pool

Reuters Photojournalism

Our day's top images, in-depth photo essays and offbeat slices of life. See the best of Reuters photography.  See more | Photo caption 

Photo

Egypt's Mursi protests

Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi clings to office as protesters demand that he resign.  Slideshow 

Photo

Obama in Africa

President Obama is seeking to build a new economic partnership with Africa at the end of a tour of the fast-growing continent.  Slideshow 

Sponsored Links

U.S. says notice to AP of leak probe complied with law

Related Topics

WASHINGTON | Tue Jun 4, 2013 3:19pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Prosecutors running a U.S. leak probe told the Associated Press about a seizure of the news agency's phone records within 90 days of taking them as it was required to do, a Justice Department official said on Tuesday.

Peter Kadzik, a deputy assistant attorney general, wrote in a letter to lawmakers that the search was not secret, that the search of 2012 records was conducted in 2013, and that the department complied with its notification obligation.

The AP has reported that prosecutors notified the news agency on May 10, 2013, that the government seized records from April and May 2012 for more than 20 separate phone lines assigned to AP and its journalists.

The Justice Department had not previously said when the seizure took place. Kadzik's letter sought to clarify that it happened this year and argues the seizure was not "secret," as AP has described it in news reports.

Notification to a media outlet must take place within 90 days, and "that requirement was met in this matter," he wrote.

Kadzik offered no explanation for why the Justice Department did not seek to negotiate access with the AP, as would normally occur before seizing media records with a subpoena.

"There are a number of reasons - depending on the circumstances of a given case - that may lead the department to refrain from negotiating with a media organization," he wrote.

A spokeswoman for the AP did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the letter.

The leak probe is focused on how AP reporters learned about a U.S. operation in Yemen to foil a plot to bomb an airliner, government officials have said.

An AP story in May 2012 described the plot. The AP has reported that it delayed publishing the story at the request of government officials until security concerns were allayed.

U.S. officials have said, however, that the leak compromised a U.S. agent working to undermine Yemen-based Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

AP CEO Gary Pruitt said in a statement last month that Justice Department explanations had been inadequate.

"Rather than talk to us in advance, they seized these phone records in secret, saying that notifying us would compromise their investigation. They offer no explanation of this, however," Pruitt said.

Journalists, lawmakers and civil liberties advocates have said recent disclosures about Justice Department tactics involving reporters raised concern about the U.S. commitment to press freedom.

At President Barack Obama's direction, Attorney General Eric Holder is reviewing Justice Department's guidelines for investigations that involve reporters, although Holder has said that prosecutors followed all laws and guidelines in recent cases.

(Reporting by David Ingram; Editing by Howard Goller, Eric Beech and Cynthia Osterman)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (4)
totherepublic wrote:
If this was true it would have been brought up weeks ago. The AP has no reason to lie. We need proof. We no longer trust the obama administration-at all. Too many lies. And BTW. The AP is not the case that will sink holder, it is the Rosen case. That one was ALL illegal.

Jun 04, 2013 2:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
totherepublic wrote:
BTW I think there is something more going on between “the administration” and AP than this. AP has obama on the ropes…and the ko is close:

“We’d Like to Be Transparent, But …”

“High officials in the Obama administration are using “secret e-mail accounts,” according to the Associated Press, and stonewalling when asked about them, even by establishment media operations.

Most U.S. agencies [having] failed to turn over lists of political appointees’ email addresses, which the AP sought under the Freedom of Information Act more than three months ago. The Labor Department initially asked the AP to pay more than $1 million for its email addresses.

Ordinary, non-sanctioned media and private citizens would likely not have a chance, of course. Even if they could raise the million.”

They challenged the king and he did not like it at all. Too bad.

Jun 04, 2013 3:09pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
FrankRifleman wrote:
Another smoke screen… The Obama camp’s ass sucks wind as usual. Time for truth and change. I’m locked and loaded.

Jun 04, 2013 4:04pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.