UBS parent company put under investigation in France
PARIS, June 7
PARIS, June 7 (Reuters) - Swiss bank UBS has been placed under formal investigation for alleged complicity in suspected illegal sales practices, the French prosecutor's office said on Friday, a week after the bank's French unit suffered the same fate.
At the same time, the parent company was given the status of "supervised witness" on two other charges related to money laundering and tax evasion rather than being placed under investigation, the prosecutor's office said.
- Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image
- Gunmen kill U.S. teacher in Libya's Benghazi
- Obama says he's not allowed iPhone for 'security reasons'
- Special Report: Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings |
- U.S. fast-food workers walk off job, rally for higher minimum wage