Sobey's parent Empire Co to buy Safeway Canada for C$5.8 bln
TORONTO, June 12
TORONTO, June 12 (Reuters) - Empire Company Ltd, parent of Canada's No. 2 grocer Sobey's, said on Wednesday it is acquiring the Canadian arm of Safeway Inc. for C$5.8 billion ($5.70 billion) in cash.
Empire said the deal, one of the biggest in the Canadian retail sector this year, includes 213 full service grocery stores under the Safeway banner in Western Canada. It said the acquisition will add to adjusted net earnings per share once the cost savings are fully realized.
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Four dead in apparent Connecticut murder-suicide
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Singer Susan Boyle reveals she has Asperger's syndrome: paper
- Winter storm pushes up U.S. East Coast after deep-freeze in the South