Sobey's parent Empire Co to buy Safeway Canada for C$5.8 bln
TORONTO, June 12
TORONTO, June 12 (Reuters) - Empire Company Ltd, parent of Canada's No. 2 grocer Sobey's, said on Wednesday it is acquiring the Canadian arm of Safeway Inc. for C$5.8 billion ($5.70 billion) in cash.
Empire said the deal, one of the biggest in the Canadian retail sector this year, includes 213 full service grocery stores under the Safeway banner in Western Canada. It said the acquisition will add to adjusted net earnings per share once the cost savings are fully realized.
- 'Good night': Haunting final contact from missing Malaysian jet |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister
- North Korea fires 25 short-range and obsolete rockets: South Korea
- France bans Monsanto GM maize ahead of sowing season