Venus Williams pulls out of Wimbledon
LONDON (Reuters) - American Venus Williams has pulled out of this year's Wimbledon because of a back injury, the five-times singles champion said on Tuesday.
The 33-year-old has not played since pulling out of the doubles at this year's French Open.
"I will not be able to participate in Wimbledon," Williams wrote on her Facebook page. "I am extremely disappointed as I have always loved The Championships."
Williams won her last Wimbledon title in 2008. Her sister Serena is the defending champion in this year's tournament which starts on Monday.
(Reporting by Ed Osmond; Editing by Mark Pangallo)
- UPDATE 4-Train carrying MH17 bodies reaches government-held Ukrainian city
- Abbas-led Palestinian body backs Hamas truce demands in Gaza |
- Rebels likely downed Malaysian jet 'by mistake': U.S. officials
- Islamic State crushes and coerces on march towards Baghdad
- Microsoft sees end to Nokia losses, shares rise after hours