In surprise, US House defeats farm bill with big food stamp cuts
WASHINGTON, June 20
WASHINGTON, June 20 (Reuters) - Republican budget-cutters joined Democratic defenders of food stamps to defeat the $500 billion, five-year farm bill backed by GOP leaders on Thursday.
Agriculture Committee chairman Frank Lucas said there may not be a second chance to write a farm bill this year. Lucas' bill called for the largest cuts in food stamps in a generation.
- Rescuers scour sea for Malaysian jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- The search for missing Malaysian jet
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source