Read
- Snowden affair diverts Bolivian president's plane in Europe
|
- Mursi, Egypt army pledge lives in 'final hours' showdown
|
- China slowdown, Portugal tensions spook markets
|
- CORRECTED-Toyota says to recall 185,000 cars globally, including Yaris
- Cheap Detroit homes are costly for communities, unwary buyers
Reuters Photojournalism
Our day's top images, in-depth photo essays and offbeat slices of life. See the best of Reuters photography. See more | Photo caption
Egypt's Mursi protests
Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi clings to office as protesters demand that he resign. Slideshow
Obama in Africa
President Obama is seeking to build a new economic partnership with Africa at the end of a tour of the fast-growing continent. Slideshow
Sponsored Links
Car bomb kills army intelligence officer in Libya's Benghazi
1 of 3. Wounded Libyan intelligence officer Giuma Misrati is evacuated from the scene of a car bomb explosion in Benghazi June 26, 2013.
Credit: Reuters/Esam Al-Fetori
BENGHAZI, Libya |
BENGHAZI, Libya (Reuters) - A Libyan military intelligence officer was killed when a bomb exploded in his car on Wednesday in the latest attack on security forces in the eastern city of Benghazi, officials said.
The blast hit Lieutenant Colonel Giuma Misrati just after he left his home and was standing next to the vehicle, the authorities added.
Libya remains anarchic and awash with weapons nearly two years after a Western-backed uprising toppled dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
Government forces are still struggling to assert their authority on the major oil producer, but have been regularly challenged by regional militias who want to keep hold of the influence they gained during the revolution.
Benghazi, the cradle of the 2011 revolt, has became a particular focus of violence, mainly against security forces. Residents say some of the assaults may be revenge attacks by former prisoners.
Islamists, largely suppressed under Gaddafi, have also come to the fore.
"There are some people who are trying to use this city as an arena for settling scores," said the deputy head of Benghazi's local council, Saad al-Saity.
"This is impeding our plans for reconstruction and getting foreign companies to return," he added.
On Tuesday six soldiers were killed in an attack by unidentified gunmen on an army checkpoint south of the coastal city of Sirte.
Last week, bombs flattened a police station in Benghazi but there were no casualties as the building had been emptied for repairs following previous attacks.
The city remains a no-go area for foreigners, after a series of attacks on Western diplomats including last September's assault on the U.S. mission which killed the ambassador and three other Americans.
(Reporting by Feras Bosalum; Writing by Ghaith Shennib and Marie-Louise Gumuchian; Editing by Andrew Heavens)
- Tweet this
- Link this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Reprints






Follow Reuters