California gay marriage foes to seek continued ban
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Defenders of California's gay marriage ban, known as Proposition 8, said on Wednesday that they would seek continued enforcement of the ban until a statewide order is issued.
The statement from Andrew Pugno, general counsel for ProtectMarriage.com, came after the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling that restores a lower court order which had struck down Proposition 8. Pugno said the Supreme Court did "not directly resolve questions about the scope" of that lower court order.
(Reporting by Dan Levine; Editing by Vicki Allen)
- Accused White House intruder is decorated Iraq war veteran
- Exclusive: Iran seeks give and take on Islamic State militants, nuclear program
- Islamic State closes in on Syrian town, refugees flood into Turkey |
- Asian shares slip, dollar pulls away from highs
- UK's Cameron shifts tack on constitutional shake-up to mollify Scots