User Experience Takes Front Seat in HSPA+ and EDGE Deployments, New Infonetics Study Reveals
Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its IP RAN and 3GPP Strategies and Vendor Leadership: Global Service Provider Survey, which analyzes how and why mobile operators plan to get as much out of their existing 3GPP network assets as possible through evolutionary steps, versus jumping straight to LTE.
“Clearly, operators’ focus is shifting from the network and technology aspects of EDGE to new services and customer experience enhancement. Over 80% of the service providers participating in our IP RAN/3GPP survey ranked ‘enabling new services’ and ‘enhancing user experience’ as the top reasons for running EDGE in their networks, and nearly as many named ‘better seamless services and user experience’ as a top driver for deploying HSPA+,” notes Stéphane Téral, principal analyst for mobile infrastructure and carrier economics at Infonetics Research. “These reasons were ranked at the bottom last year.”
IP RAN AND 3GPP SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Evolved EDGE is losing momentum: a majority of operators surveyed won’t upgrade because they prefer HSPA+ or LTE instead
- IP RAN is getting serious traction and is on track to achieve significant penetration by 2015
- When selecting a RAN supplier, survey respondents unanimously rated price-to-performance ratio the #1 criterion
- Operator respondents ranked Ericsson, Huawei, and Nokia Siemens Networks as the top 3 RAN equipment suppliers
For its 31-page IP RAN and 3GPP survey, Infonetics interviewed independent wireless, incumbent, and competitive operators in EMEA, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and North America that operate 3GPP networks. The report reveals operators’ plans for EDGE, Evolved EDGE, HSPA, HSPA+, voice over HSPA, and IP RAN, including drivers and barriers and business and technical challenges as well as their perceptions and ratings of RAN vendors. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
- Infonetics June Mobile and M2M research brief: http://bit.ly/14IBINN
- Mobile M2M module segment of the M2M market hits $1.5 billion
- European consumers spending less on mobile communications
- WiFi tablets pressuring embedded mobile broadband card market
- LTE not enough to lift mobile infrastructure market in Q1
- Mobile operators feeling pressure from OTT and free services
RECENT / UPCOMING MARKET FORECASTS & SURVEYS
- Telecom and Datacom Market Drivers
- Mobile VoIP Services and Subscribers
- Service Provider Capex, Opex, Revenue, and Subscribers Database
- LTE Strategies and Vendor Leadership: Global Service Provider Survey
- M2M Connections and Services by Vertical: Market Size and Forecasts
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- SDNs and NFV: Why Operators Are Investing Now (View on-demand)
- Leveraging Hotspot 2.0 for Carrier WiFi Networks (View on demand)
- Improving Network Economics with IP over OTN (June 27: Attend live event)
- The 100G Metro Optical Opportunity (July 24: Attend live event)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3335
N. America (East), Midwest, L. America: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1 408-583-3395
Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics’ About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.