An aerial view shows the pack of riders as they cycle along the coast during the 145,5 km third stage of the centenary Tour de France from Ajaccio to Calvi, on the French Mediterranean island of Corsica July 1, 2013. REUTERS/Pascal Pochard-Casabianca/Pool

Reuters Photojournalism

Our day's top images, in-depth photo essays and offbeat slices of life. See the best of Reuters photography.  See more | Photo caption 

Photo

Egypt's Mursi protests

Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi clings to office as protesters demand that he resign.  Slideshow 

Photo

Obama in Africa

President Obama is seeking to build a new economic partnership with Africa at the end of a tour of the fast-growing continent.  Slideshow 

Sponsored Links

Bomb in Thai south kills eight soldiers

Related Topics

1 of 6. Thai security personnel inspect the wreckage of a military truck after a bomb attack by suspected Muslim militants on a roadside in Yala province, south of Bangkok June 29, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Surapan Boonthanom

BANGKOK | Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:47am EDT

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Suspected Muslim rebels in southern Thailand killed eight soldiers in a roadside bomb attack on Saturday, days after the government rejected demands for a ceasefire over the Islamic holiday of Ramadan starting next month.

Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist country and resistance to central government rule in the Muslim-majority provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat has existed for decades, resurfacing violently in 2004.

The 60-kg bomb exploded as the soldiers were travelling in a military truck along a village road in Yala, police said. Another two soldiers were wounded and two villagers on a motorcycle behind the truck were also hurt, police said.

The opening of peace talks with rebel groups earlier this year has done nothing to end violence in the south, where more than 5,300 people have died since January 2004.

This week the Barisan Revolusi Nasional, one of the oldest groups operating in the south of the country and a participant in the talks, proposed a ceasefire for Ramadan, which starts around July 10.

In exchange they made demands including the release of all detainees in the south and the acceptance of Malaysia as a mediator, which the government rejected.

The three Muslim-dominated provinces were once part of a Malay Muslim sultanate until annexed by Thailand in 1909.

(Reporting by Surapan Boonthanom; Writing by Orathai Sriring; Editing by Alan Raybould and Jeremy Laurence)

 
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (0)
Be the first to comment on reuters.com.
Add yours using the box above.