Egypt's Mursi quoted as calling army action a military coup
CAIRO (Reuters) - The Facebook page of Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi quoted him on Wednesday as saying he rejected measures announced by the army as a "military coup".
The army, in a statement aired live on television, appointed a new, interim administration to replace Mursi as president, suspended the constitution and called for an early presidential election.
It was unclear whether Mursi has access to his own Facebook page or if the statement was posted by an aide.
(Reporting by Asma Alsharif; Writing by Patrick Werr; Editing by Yasmine Saleh)
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in Indian state elections
- U.S. war veteran released by North Korea returns home |
- Thai PM proposes referendum on her future as protesters prepare big push
- Pennsylvania newlyweds "just wanted to murder someone together:" police