Draghi says rates will remain low for extended period
FRANKFURT, July 4
FRANKFURT, July 4 (Reuters) - European Central Bank policy will keep interest rates at current or lower levels for an extended period of time, ECB President Mario Draghi said on Thursday, giving financial markets the clearest guidance to date about future rates.
"The Governing Council expects the key ECB rates to remain at present or lower levels for an extended period of time," Draghi told a news conference.
Earlier on Thursday, the ECB held its main interest rate at a record low of 0.50 percent. It also left the rate on its deposit facility at zero and held its marginal lending facility - or emergency borrowing rate - at 1.00 percent.
- Search planes scour sea for missing Malaysian jetliner |
- Timeline: Malaysia Airlines flight to Beijing missing in Asia
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official