Death toll in Cairo shooting rises to 51: emergency services
CAIRO (Reuters) - The death toll in violence at the Cairo headquarters of the Republican Guard on Monday rose to 51, the head of Egypt's emergency services said.
The number of wounded was 435, Mohamed Sultan said.
The military said "a terrorist group" had tried to storm the building. The Muslim Brotherhood said the army opened fire while some Islamist demonstrators were holding morning prayer outside the barracks were toppled President Mohamed Mursi was being held.
(Reporting By Shadia Nasralla)
- Children's corpses reveal desperate attempts to escape Korean ferry |
- Russia says it will respond if Ukraine interests attacked |
- Vote delayed on loan guarantee for World Trade Center developer
- Obama seeks to ease Asian allies' doubts during visit to Japan |
- Apple expands buybacks by $30 billion, OKs seven-for-one stock split