Death toll in Cairo shooting rises to 51: emergency services
CAIRO (Reuters) - The death toll in violence at the Cairo headquarters of the Republican Guard on Monday rose to 51, the head of Egypt's emergency services said.
The number of wounded was 435, Mohamed Sultan said.
The military said "a terrorist group" had tried to storm the building. The Muslim Brotherhood said the army opened fire while some Islamist demonstrators were holding morning prayer outside the barracks were toppled President Mohamed Mursi was being held.
(Reporting By Shadia Nasralla)
- Obama makes rare campaign trail appearance, people leave early
- Two arrested in death of Saudi student in California: report
- Obama makes rare campaign trail appearance, some leave early
- Former 'American Idol' contestant Joanne Borgella dies at 32
- IBM to pay Globalfoundries $1.5 billion to take chip unit off its hands: WSJ