Obama orders review of U.S. aid to Egypt, Pentagon says
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama has ordered a review of U.S. assistance to Egypt's government, the Pentagon said in a statement on Wednesday.
"Given the events of last week, the President has directed relevant departments and agencies to review our assistance to the government of Egypt," the Pentagon statement said, without explicitly referring to last week's military-backed overthrow of Egypt's president.
(Reporting by Phil Stewart; Editing by Eric Beech)
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- North Korea executes leader's powerful uncle in rare public purge |
- Twitter backtracks on block feature after users revolt
- Insight: In Yemen, al Qaeda gains sympathy amid U.S. drone strikes
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
Thousands line up to say goodbye to Nelson Mandela, whose body is lying in state in Pretoria. Slideshow