FirstRand talks for Merchant Bank Ghana fall through
ACCRA, July 12
ACCRA, July 12 (Reuters) - FirstRand's bid to acquire a stake in Merchant Bank Ghana were unsuccessful, a key shareholder of the Ghanaian bank said on Friday, setting back plans by South Africa's second-largest lender for a retail operation in oil-rich west Africa.
Last year, FirstRand said it had offered $91 million for a 75 percent stake in the medium-sized retail and commercial bank.
(Reporting by Kwasi Kpodo; Writing by Helen Nyambura-Mwaura; Editing by Jon Herskovitz)
- Insight: How U.S. spying cost Boeing multibillion-dollar jet contract
- Exclusive: Secret contract tied NSA and security industry pioneer |
- With Fed out of the way, what's next on Wall Street?
- Yemeni al Qaeda says attack on hospital was mistake
- Insight: For Chinese farmers, a rare welcome in Russia's Far East