UPDATE 2-'Glee' star Monteith died of heroin, alcohol overdose

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:04pm EDT

By Nicole Mordant

VANCOUVER, July 16 (Reuters) - Cory Monteith, the 31-year-old heartthrob of Fox Television's musical-comedy series "Glee," died of an apparently accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol, Canadian authorities said on Tuesday.

The British Columbia Coroners Service said in a release that post-mortem testing on the star, who was found dead on Saturday in a downtown Vancouver hotel room, died of "a mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol." It said Monteith's death was unlikely to have been intentional.

"There is absolutely nothing at this point, no evidence to suggest this is anything but the most sad and tragic accident," said Barb McLintock, a spokeswoman for the Coroners Service.

Monteith was found dead shortly after noon on Saturday in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel. Vancouver police said they believed he was alone in the room after returning to the hotel early on Saturday morning.

Representatives for the actor's girlfriend, Lea Michele, who played Monteith's on-screen love interest in "Glee," issued a statement on Tuesday thanking fans for their support.

"Since Cory's passing, Lea has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them," Michele's representatives said in a statement. "They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together."

Monteith was public about his struggles with substance abuse. In April, he completed voluntary treatment for unspecified substance addiction at a rehab facility. He had also been treated in a facility at age 19.

"GLEE" WAS BREAKTHROUGH

The actor, who was born in Calgary, Alberta, and grew up in Victoria, British Columbia, told Parade magazine in 2011 that he had a serious drug problem during his teenage years for which he received treatment.

Monteith is the latest prominent young entertainment star to have died from drugs or alcohol. British soul singer Amy Winehouse died in 2011 from accidental alcohol poisoning at the age of 27.

Other notable recent drug-related deaths in Hollywood include Oscar-winning Australian actor Heath Ledger, who died in 2008 from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs at age 28, and former child star Brad Renfro, who died from an accidental heroin overdose a week before Ledger at age 25.

Monteith began his career in a number of small roles leading up to a recurring part between 2006 and 2007 in the ABC Family science-fiction drama "Kyle XY" and another role around the same time on the MTV series "Kaya."

"Glee," which is set in the small town of Lima, Ohio, was Monteith's breakthrough. It is centered on a high school glee club. Popular for its song and dance routines and big-name guest stars, the show has won Golden Globe, Emmy and Peabody awards.

Monteith's death is a major blow to a show that promotes a positive message, and his character, high school athlete Finn Hudson, who grew to defend the school's misfits, played an integral part in advancing the series' theme of tolerance.

The fifth season of "Glee" is expected to premiere on Sept. 19 on U.S. broadcaster Fox, which is owned by Twenty-First Century Fox Inc.

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (7)
Syndrome477 wrote:
Junkies. You wanna play, you gotta pay.

Jul 16, 2013 8:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mke wrote:
Sad for all, family, friends, members of the cast, Lea, and really – all those that will see the first Glee show in the new season. There will be the public realization that Cory will somehow be removed and not present any longer.

Jul 16, 2013 8:56pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gottaluvunc wrote:
What a waste. So sad. There is so much focus on marijuana being dangerous. No one od’s on pot. We need to do more for education and rehab for heroin and especially alcohol.

Jul 16, 2013 8:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.