Nikkei edges up to 8-week closing high before Bernanke testimony
TOKYO, July 17 (Reuters) - Japan's Nikkei share average edged up to an eight-week closing high on Wednesday as investors hesitated in taking large positions before key events, including the U.S. Federal Reserve chairman's testimony to a congressional panel later in the day. The benchmark Nikkei rose 0.1 percent to 14,615.04, the highest closing since May 22, while the broader Topix added 0.2 percent to 1,213.24.
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters press on |
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Singapore hit by rare outbreak of rioting, 27 arrested |
- Venezuela's Maduro to raise pressure on business after local vote