Nikkei edges up to 8-week closing high before Bernanke testimony
TOKYO, July 17 (Reuters) - Japan's Nikkei share average edged up to an eight-week closing high on Wednesday as investors hesitated in taking large positions before key events, including the U.S. Federal Reserve chairman's testimony to a congressional panel later in the day. The benchmark Nikkei rose 0.1 percent to 14,615.04, the highest closing since May 22, while the broader Topix added 0.2 percent to 1,213.24.
- Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus
- Gaza bloodshed deepens as airlines shun Israel |
- Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47 |
- South Korea ferry fugitive hid behind cabin wall, bags of cash at hand