UPDATE 1-Magnitude 6.2 earthquake strikes southern Peru -U.S. Geological Survey
(Updates with Peruvian authorities in 3rd paragraph)
July 16 (Reuters) - A magnitude 6.2 earthquake struck southern Peru on Tuesday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
The epicenter of the quake was located 53 miles (85 km)northwest of Arequipa, Peru, at a depth of about 52 miles (84 km), according to the USGS. Magnitude 6 quakes are capable of causing severe damage.
Peruvian authorities said there were no reports of damage or injuries. (Editing by Stacey Joyce)
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with new easing steps
- Suspect in Pennsylvania police ambush captured after seven-week manhunt
- Oil price declines have small-cap shale investors scrambling
- China says nets 180 graft suspects in overseas manhunt