India court sentences six to life in prison in rape of Swiss woman
BHOPAL, India (Reuters) - An Indian court on Saturday sentenced six men convicted of the gang rape of a Swiss woman to life imprisonment, a lawyer in the case said.
The 39-year-old Swiss woman was raped while camping with her husband in a forest in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh in mid-March. Three months earlier, a student was gang-raped and beaten in a moving bus and thrown bleeding on to the street in a case that triggered mass protests.
"It was a good judgment. It came early," said Rajendra Tiwari, a lawyer for the government.
- Fired UPS worker kills two supervisors, self, in Alabama shooting
- Obama critic D'Souza spared prison for violating election law
- Bin Laden son-in-law sentenced to life in U.S. prison
- Australia police kill 'terror suspect' after two officers stabbed
- Islamic State blows away Gulf qualms about joining U.S. military action