Disappointing mobile growth takes shine off Samsung Elec Q2 profit record
SEOUL, July 26
SEOUL, July 26 (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is under mounting pressure to produce eye-catching new smartphones after its mobile business shrank 3.5 percent in the second quarter, taking the gloss off a record $8.5 billion operating profit.
The world's top smartphone vendor on Friday said April-June operating profit increased 47.5 percent from a year ago to 9.53 trillion won ($8.54 billion), in line with its estimate.
Profits at its mobile division, the biggest earnings generator, rose 52 percent to 6.28 trillion won from a year ago, but fell 3.5 percent from the previous quarter.
The reporting period included the launch of its flagship Galaxy S4 in April with a massive advertising campaign, in its biggest assault on arch rival Apple Inc's iPhone.
- Qatar will not host World Cup: FIFA official
- Exclusive: Iran seeks give and take on Islamic State militants, nuclear program
- New Jersey man attacked and killed by black bear, police say
- Alibaba IPO ranks as world's biggest after additional shares sold
- Islamic State tells followers to attack U.S., French citizens: website