Disappointing mobile growth takes shine off Samsung Elec Q2 profit record
SEOUL, July 26
SEOUL, July 26 (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is under mounting pressure to produce eye-catching new smartphones after its mobile business shrank 3.5 percent in the second quarter, taking the gloss off a record $8.5 billion operating profit.
The world's top smartphone vendor on Friday said April-June operating profit increased 47.5 percent from a year ago to 9.53 trillion won ($8.54 billion), in line with its estimate.
Profits at its mobile division, the biggest earnings generator, rose 52 percent to 6.28 trillion won from a year ago, but fell 3.5 percent from the previous quarter.
The reporting period included the launch of its flagship Galaxy S4 in April with a massive advertising campaign, in its biggest assault on arch rival Apple Inc's iPhone.
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Last-minute Obamacare exemption for those with canceled plans
- UPDATE 6-Target cyber breach hits 40 mln payment cards at holiday peak
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter