Protests in Rome as Nazi war criminal celebrates 100th birthday

ROME Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:40am EDT

1 of 5. Protesters react against a relative (L) of convicted former Nazi SS captain Erich Priebke during a protest in front of his residence in Rome July 29, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Yara Nardi

Related Topics

ROME (Reuters) - Dozens of demonstrators, including members of Rome's Jewish community, protested outside the apartment building where the former SS officer responsible for one of Italy's worst wartime massacres celebrated his 100th birthday on Monday.

Erich Priebke, a former SS captain, lives under house arrest in the Italian capital after being sentenced to life imprisonment in 1998 for the massacre in the Ardeatine Caves near Rome where 335 civilians were killed in March 1944.

There were brief scuffles as a man identified as Priebke's grandson arrived with a bottle of champagne and demonstrators jostled him with cries of "Shame!" and "Disgrace!".

"It's a provocation! Arriving with a bottle of champagne!" one demonstrator shouted.

Almost 70 years since the end of World War Two, Italy's wartime past is still deeply divisive in a country which came close to civil war when the fascist dictatorship of Benito Mussolini collapsed in 1943.

Tensions around the birthday of Priebke, who has never expressed remorse for his actions, were heightened by reports of posters put up nearby hailing the former Nazi officer.

"Happy Birthday Captain Priebke" read one poster signed by a group calling itself the Militant Community of Tiburtina (a Rome neighborhood), the daily Corriere della Sera daily reported.

ANPI, the national association representing former wartime partisans, said its headquarters had been scrawled with swastikas and comments supporting Priebke. Similar graffiti was seen elsewhere, Italian newspapers said.

In March 1944, Priebke was in charge of SS troops who executed the 335 people in retaliation for the killing of 33 German soldiers by a partisan group near Rome.

After the war he escaped to Argentina but was deported to Italy after he was interviewed on U.S. television and admitted his role in the massacre which he said was conducted against "terrorists".

(Corrects spelling of site of massacre, in paragraph two)

(Reporting by James Mackenzie; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (11)
Butch_from_PA wrote:
At least he is in jail for life.

War is ugly.
Anyone ever arrest the people responsible for building and dropping the biggest weapon of mass destruction on unsuspecting civilians in Japan?

Jul 29, 2013 11:18am EDT  --  Report as abuse
xyz2055 wrote:
WWII and the holocaust ended almost 70 years ago. Don’t you think it’s time to let it go? Same goes for the bombing of Japan Butch! Very few of the people responsible for that event are alive today.

Jul 29, 2013 12:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
what jail? is home arrest jail to you? this evil man must be thrown to dark room… celebrating birthday… what a luxury… europeans will ne ver change…

Jul 29, 2013 1:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.