Meilutyte breaks 100 meters breaststroke world record
BARCELONA (Reuters) - Lithuania's teenage Olympic champion Ruta Meilutyte set a world record of one minute 04.35 seconds in the semi-finals of the women's 100 meters breaststroke at the world swimming championships on Monday.
The 16-year-old, who won gold at the London Olympics last year, broke the previous mark of 1:04.45 set by American Jessica Hardy in 2009.
- U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on IS in Syria |
- Qatar adamant it will host 2022 World Cup despite doubts
- Argentina's Fernandez to meet billionaire investor Soros in New York
- Ebola could strike 20,000 in six weeks, 'rumble on for years': study
- Air France strike crisis deepens as both sides dig in