STXNEWS LATAM-Chile's SQM plummets, trading halted after potash shakeup
Shares in Chilean potash producer SQM plummetted on Tuesday, leading the Santiago Stock Exchange to halt trading in the company, after Russia's Uralkali dismantles the world's largest potash cartel in a move that it expects to slash prices by 25 percent.
SQM's shares fell 15.5 percent before being halted.
The move in Russia will likely reshape the industry and has pummeled shares of companies that produce the key fertilizer ingredient.
Santiago's blue-chip IPSA stock index is down 0.99 percent.
- China food scandal spreads, drags in Starbucks, Burger King and McNuggets in Japan |
- Israel pounds Gaza despite international peace efforts |
- Train carrying MH17 bodies on final journey reaches Ukraine city |
- Islamic State crushes and coerces on march towards Baghdad
- Jokowi party claims victory in Indonesian presidential election