Gold miner Barrick posts loss on impairment charge
Aug 1 (Reuters) - Barrick Gold Corp posted a second-quarter loss on Thursday due to an $8.7 billion impairment charge largely on account of the recent slump in gold prices.
The world's largest gold producer reported a loss of $8.56 billion, or $8.55 per share, compared with a profit of $787 million, or 79 cents per share, in the year-ago quarter.
Excluding one-time items like the impairment charge, earnings were 66 cents a share.
Revenue fell 1.3 percent to $3.20 billion.
- Gaza bloodshed deepens, airlines shun Israel |
- Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus
- TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47
- South Korea ferry fugitive hid behind cabin wall, bags of cash at hand
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down over rebel-held territory