Gold miner Barrick posts loss on impairment charge
Aug 1 (Reuters) - Barrick Gold Corp posted a second-quarter loss on Thursday due to an $8.7 billion impairment charge largely on account of the recent slump in gold prices.
The world's largest gold producer reported a loss of $8.56 billion, or $8.55 per share, compared with a profit of $787 million, or 79 cents per share, in the year-ago quarter.
Excluding one-time items like the impairment charge, earnings were 66 cents a share.
Revenue fell 1.3 percent to $3.20 billion.
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- Ukraine forms new defense force, seeks Western help |
- Front companies, embassies mask North Korean weapons trade - U.N
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions