Sponsored Links

Draghi says rates will remain low into 2014.

Related Topics

FRANKFURT | Thu Aug 1, 2013 8:43am EDT

FRANKFURT Aug 1 (Reuters) - European Central Bank President Mario Draghi reiterated on Thursday that the ECB's future interest rates will remain at their present level or lower for an "extended period" of time, suggesting that will be at least into next year.

He said inflation expectations remained anchored and there were some signs of tentative growth.

"(Policy) thereby provides support to a gradual recovery in economic activity in the remaining part of the year and in 2014," he said in a news conference.

Earlier on Thursday, the ECB held its main interest rate at a record low of 0.50 percent. It also left the rate on its deposit facility at zero and held its marginal lending facility - or emergency borrowing rate - at 1.00 percent.

 
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (0)
Be the first to comment on reuters.com.
Add yours using the box above.