CORRECTED-Fairfax Financial takes quarterly loss on bond investments
(Corrects currency throughout to U.S. dollars from Canadian dollars)
TORONTO Aug 1 (Reuters) - Fairfax Financial, the Canadian property and casualty insurer run by investment guru Prem Watsa, on Thursday reported a second-quarter loss due to losses on its bond portfolio.
The Toronto-based company posted a net loss of $157.8 million, or $8.55 a share, for the quarter ended June 30. That compared with a year-before profit of $93.7 million, or $3.79 a share.
The result was due to a $415.7 million net loss on investments, particularly unrealized losses on bonds. That compared with a year-before gain on investments of $71.5 million. (Reporting by Cameron French; Editing by Richard Chang)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- Two U.S. states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola zones |
- NYC police say hatchet attack by Islam convert was terrorism |
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |