CORRECTED-Fairfax Financial takes quarterly loss on bond investments
(Corrects currency throughout to U.S. dollars from Canadian dollars)
TORONTO Aug 1 (Reuters) - Fairfax Financial, the Canadian property and casualty insurer run by investment guru Prem Watsa, on Thursday reported a second-quarter loss due to losses on its bond portfolio.
The Toronto-based company posted a net loss of $157.8 million, or $8.55 a share, for the quarter ended June 30. That compared with a year-before profit of $93.7 million, or $3.79 a share.
The result was due to a $415.7 million net loss on investments, particularly unrealized losses on bonds. That compared with a year-before gain on investments of $71.5 million. (Reporting by Cameron French; Editing by Richard Chang)
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- Ukraine forms new defense force, seeks Western help |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions