Berlusconi says Italy needs justice reform or elections
ROME (Reuters) - Italy's center right must push for reform of the justice system or seek new elections, former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi told lawmakers from his People of Freedom Party, according to a source at the meeting on Friday.
"If there is no reform of the justice system, we are ready for new elections," he told the meeting, according to the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
On Thursday a court upheld a conviction for tax fraud against Berlusconi, threatening both his position as center-right leader and the stability of Italy's fragile coalition government.
(Reporting by Antonella Cinelli, writing by Naomi O'Leary)
- Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors |
- Four-way talks call for end to Ukraine violence |
- California city evacuation lifted after military ordnance found
- After Nevada ranch stand-off, emboldened militias ask: where next?
- Teen in 'Jihad Jane' case sentenced to five years in prison