UMC Q2 net falls 32 percent on year, but beats forecast
TAIPEI Aug 7 (Reuters) - United Microelectronics Corp , the world's No.3 contract chipmaker, reported on Wednesday a better-than-expected net profit in the second quarter as chip demand for mobile devices continued to grow.
UMC reported a net profit of T$1.8 billion ($60 million) in the quarter, beating a median forecast of T$983.5 million from 13 analysts polled by Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
UMC posted a net profit of T$2.65 billion a year earlier and T$6.59 billion in the previous quarter.
Before the announcement, shares of UMC closed down 2.3 percent, trailing the broader market's 1.46 percent fall.
(Reporting by Faith Hung; Editing by Matt Driskill)
- White House reverses, says Obama met uncle and lived with him during law school
- With song and sadness, South Africans mourn Mandela |
- U.S. television, Twitter, alive with new version of 'Sound of Music'
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image
- Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image