Drone strike kills two in southern Yemen: officials and residents

ADEN Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:27pm EDT

Related Topics

ADEN (Reuters) - Local officials and residents in Yemen's southern Lahj Province said a drone destroyed a vehicle travelling on a mountain road late on Saturday evening killing its two occupants and bringing to 15 the death toll from four strikes in three days.

The local officials and residents said the vehicle, which was travelling between Yafe and Radfan, was believed to be carrying arms and its occupants were suspected members of al Qaeda.

On Friday an air strike in Yemen's eastern Hadramout Province killed five suspected militants, while two strikes in Hadramout and Marib Province killed eight militants on Thursday.

Yemen said on Wednesday it had foiled a plot by al Qaeda to seize the port of Mukalla, the capital of Hadramout and a major oil and gas export hub.

Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), the movement's local wing, has previously plotted unsuccessfully to attack international airliners and is seen in Washington as a potential threat to Yemen's neighbor Saudi Arabia and Red Sea oil tankers.

A threat from al Qaeda last week caused the United States and Britain to evacuate staff from Yemen.

Yemen is one of a handful of countries where Washington acknowledges using drones, but it does not publicly comment on the practice.

(Reporting By Mohammed Mukhashaf; Writing by Angus McDowall)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (23)
unmanneddrone wrote:
Imagine what would happen if any of these “suspected”, were actually put through due process and convicted. Perhaps we could enjoy some good old fashioned, hung, drawn and quartered, then display the severed body parts are various events around America to the soundtrack, USA! USA! USA! Listen to me joking around. Due process! I`m hilarious.

Aug 10, 2013 7:43pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dd606 wrote:
@unmanneddrone

What a great idea… Because, whenever one of these nuts directs one of their lunatic minions to go blow up 50 random people in a market, I know they have a “due process” of going around and taking a poll from the people first, on whether or not they would like to be blown to pieces. Then if everybody says ‘no’, they just go home and play video games.

Yes, you are hilarious… Just not like you think.

Aug 10, 2013 9:52pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
IVDAD wrote:
Since there is no due process or anything else other than a reported drone strike and number of casualties, it is always reported alleged, suspected persons. There are no names, affiliations, pictures of these people. Just alleged and suspect. Who is really being targeted?

Aug 10, 2013 10:18pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

Full focus