BUZZ-Li & Fung: The struggle continues
Li & Fung shares are hovering near their 4-year lows and there is little to suggest that its earnings report will enthuse investors back.
** Li & Fung is the HSI's fourth-worst performing stock this year behind the coal stocks and Belle International.
** Company has struggled to generate revenue from its aggressive acquisitions resulting in the lowest return on assets since at least 2000. link.reuters.com/maz32v
** Relationship between ROA & share price particularly strong since February 2011.
** Shares staged a recovery of sorts from April-end through to mid-July on hopes that a better U.S. economy would help reverse Li & Fung's fortunes.
** EPS estimates are being cut. 2013 EPS estimate is down 3.4% in the past month according to StarMine.
** The company's U.S. unit, LF USA, continues to struggle with margin improvement still missing. Goldman Sachs says "it is more about the micro than macro for L&F"
** Short-selling remains strong. According to Markit it is the second-most heavily borrowed stock in the Hang Seng in terms of percentage of shares out on loan vs total outstanding shares.
(Stocks Buzz is a pilot project. Please send any feedback or suggestions to email@example.com) (RM: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Crimeans vote on union with Russia as Moscow pours in troops |
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat
- Indian Ocean poses daunting challenge in search for missing Malaysia plane