DoCoMo to select Sony, Sharp, Fujitsu for winter smartphone lineup -sources
TOKYO Aug 14 (Reuters) - NTT DoCoMo Inc, Japan's largest mobile operator, will select Sony Corp, Sharp Corp and Fujitsu Ltd smartphone models for its main winter product lineup, sources familiar with the situation said.
Samsung Electronics Co, which along with Sony supplied one of the two models for the main summer lineup, will be excluded as it lacks a new flagship model for this winter season, and after its Galaxy S4 fell short of DoCoMo's summer target despite strong sales for Sony's Xperia A, the sources said.
The move could be a major boon for Sharp, Japan's largest display maker and an Apple Inc supplier that was bailed out by its banks last year and is expected to issue new shares this year to shore up its weakened finances.
Representatives for DoCoMo, Sony, Sharp and Fujitsu declined to comment. No comment was immediately available from Samsung Electronics.
- Google bus blocked in San Francisco gentrification protest
- Tearful Thai PM urges protesters to take part in election
- North Korea's 'reign of terror' worries South's leader
- Leaders gather, thousands sing in rain in farewell to Mandela |
- Chinese hackers spied on Europeans before G20 meeting: researcher