India says submarine crew members killed in explosion
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - An explosion on an Indian submarine on Wednesday killed crew members, India's defense minister said, giving no further details of what he described as one of the greatest tragedies of recent times.
Earlier the navy said 18 sailors were trapped after an explosion and fire on board the conventionally powered submarine INS Sindhurakshak in the coastal city of Mumbai.
"I feel sad ... about those navy personnel who lost their lives in the service of the country," Defense Minister A.K. Antony told reporters outside parliament in New Delhi.
(Reporting by John Chalmers)
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Putin critic Khodorkovsky in Germany after pardon
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- Pizza outlet attacked as India, U.S. fail to cool diplomat row |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter