Applied Materials revenue falls on lower chip equipment orders
Aug 15 (Reuters) - Applied Materials reported lower quarterly revenue because of a fall in demand for its equipment used in manufacturing chips.
Net income fell to $168 million, or 14 cents per share, in the third quarter, from $218 million, or 17 cents per share, a year earlier.
Excluding items, the company earned 18 cents per share.
Revenue fell 16 percent to $1.98 billion in the quarter ended July 28.
Applied Materials supplies to companies including Samsung Electronics Co Ltd and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd.
Shares of the company were down 2 percent at $14.97 in extended trading. (Reporting by Neha Alawadhi and Supantha Mukherjee in Bangalore; Editing by Joyjeet Das)
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Putin critic Khodorkovsky in Germany after pardon
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- Pizza outlet attacked as India, U.S. fail to cool diplomat row |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter