Philippines coastguard says 253 rescued from sunk ferry carrying nearly 700
MANILA Aug 17 (Reuters) - Rescuers saved 253 people from a ferry that sank after a collision in the central Philippines and were searching for hundreds still unaccounted for, a coastguard spokesman said.
Five people were confirmed dead after the incident late on Friday, Commander Armand Balilo said.
(Reporting by Manuel Mogato, editing by Mark Trevelyan)
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Putin critic Khodorkovsky in Germany after pardon |
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- Pizza outlet attacked as India, U.S. fail to cool diplomat row |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter